Thursday, April 26, 2012

I thought I'd share my hummus recipe and try to encourage you to try a batch on your own.

I promise, it's easy!  This recipe has been a staple at our house for, well, 13 years!



You'll need:

2 cans of garbanzo beans
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 generous tsp of salt
2 cloves of garlic 
1 tsp of cumin
1/4 scant cup of lemon juice
2-4 Tbs. of some form of seasame seeds.  I like to use oil or seeds (they grind up just great in my Vitamix), but most recipes call for seasame paste and that works, too.

Rinse the garbanzo beans and combine everything in the blender until smooth.  If you are having trouble with the consistency, you can add more liquid; sometimes I add a little water if I feel the fat content is getting out of hand.

Transfer to serving dish and drizzle with olive oil if desired.  We make pita "pizzas", which are really an open faced sandwich with hummus, cucumber, tomato, and olives. 

You can also add roasted bell pepper to hummus, which is delicious.  I roasted two peppers wrapped in foil in the toaster oven for about 40 minutes, added one to the hummus in the blender, and chopped the other for garnish.  Note that there is a lot of water in veggies, so in order to preserve the consistency of your hummus, you might want to cut down a little on the olive oil. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment